With the Covid19 Delta-variant quickly moving around the country, Government focus now is getting eligible people fully vaccinated. This has an impact on employers who are unsure of their rights and responsibilities to their staff around vaccinations and health and safety.
There is planned legislation outlining workplace vaccination requirements and some major primary sector organisations are providing input into this process. In the meantime, there are resources and advice available to you:
- Christchurch employment law specialists, Dundas Street, have developed a comprehensive guide for employers on the issue of vaccinations. The guide clarifies employer obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 and gives advice on steps businesses could take to maintain a safe workplace.
- The Government has developed a COVID-19 Vaccine Business and workplace toolkit.
- There is comprehensive information on how to book a vaccine or find your nearest walk-in or drive-through vaccination centre. Many NZPPI members have given staff time off to get vaccinated and/or provided incentives.
- Workers or workplace visitors who are unwell with respiratory symptoms need to immediately go home, and call Healthline or their GP. They will probably be advised to get tested at their nearest testing station.
- Here is some official advice on how to talk with people who are vaccine hesitant.
- If you have questions about the vaccine and want to talk to someone, you can call the COVID Vaccination Healthline on 0800 28 29 26 (8am to 8pm, 7 days a week).
- NZPPI is liaising directly with DHBs in the areas with confirmed Delta in the community. If you want up to date information on vaccination drives or testing centres in those areas contact Matt on 027 622 9255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A full list of District Health Boards nationwide is here.
And we are here
We are continuing to work with the Government and our members hour by hour to advocate for you during the COVID-19 crisis. Please get in touch if you have questions or if you would like further information.
Matt - 027 622 9255
NZPPI website - www.nzppi.co.nz
Read more about Covid-19 alert levels here: https://covid19.govt.nz/government-actions/covid-19-alert-system/
For up to date advice from the Ministry of Health go to: https://covid19.govt.nz or phone 0800 358 5453
New Zealand Ministry of Health: https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dieases-and-conditions/covida-novel-coronavirus
Information and maps for the border https://covid19.govt.nz/travel/travelling-across-alert-level-boundaries/alert-level-boundary-map/..
New Zealand Food Safety Science & Research Centre: https://www.nzfssrc.org.nz/node/154
Employment New Zealand: https://www.employment.govt.nz/about/news-and-updates/workplace-response-coronavirus-covid-19/