Young Horticulturist 2012 Competition
Daniel Chong, HortFert’s Young Achiever 2012 is competing in the Young Horticulturist of the Year competition, representing the Nursery and Garden Industry. Daniel, 22, is Production Foreman at Rainbow Trees, South Auckland.
Since winning at Conference, Daniel has been focused on his Agmardt project, and has spent three days with Peter and Carol Fraser at Growing Spectrum including visits to Annton Nursery and Daltons, which has given him a wider perspective of the nursery industry
He will compete against 5 finalists from other sectors of the horticulture industry, during an intense 2 day competition in Auckland, November 14 and 15.
- The finalists present their projects to the AGMARDT Project judges. Spectators are welcome and encouraged to attend as the presentations are varied, wide ranging and worth viewing, 9am – 2pm, at Rendezvous Hotel, Mayoral Drive, Auckland City.
- Interviews: Finalists will be interviewed by the main judges, Lesley Slade, Jack Hobbs, Errol Hewett. The interviews will run concurrently with the AGMARDT Market Innovation Project presentations.
- Computer Exercise: a 90 minute computer exercise in the afternoon session.
- Finalists will test their skills in a series of practical activities with a focus on practical horticulture skills as well as horticultural knowledge. The day will conclude with a 20 minute Hortisport activity. Spectators are welcome. Auckland Botanic Gardens, 8.30am through until 3.00pm
- Awards Dinner Rendezvous Hotel, Mayoral Drive Auckland City, 6:30 to 10pm. The finalists will present their 3 minute prepared speeches at the awards dinner.
The winner will be announced at the dinner.
To support Daniel, book yourself a seat on the NGINZ table contact Frances Palmer 04 918 3511 firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel showcasing the
NGI's 2012 HortFert Young Achiever